Again, with intention...
December 29, 2022
I made a brief attempt (as in 3 deleted drafts) to examine 2022 and gave up. The working title of the post was: Apparently I just don't want to talk about it.
From my Facebook feed, a post suggesting there might be a better way to look back and reflect. It made me think of what was possibly the best advice I got as a new driver from a non-driver (she wasn't sixteen yet).
I was having trouble with oncoming traffic. I did fine on two lane roads until I saw a vehicle coming at me in the other lane. I invariably rode right up against, and sometimes over the double yellow lines and it's a bloody miracle my father didn't expire during those sessions.
Stop looking at the traffic and start looking where you're going.
One of the best, most underrated metaphors ever.
So, I'm going to give this another try. The questions are not mine and my answers are short. And that's OK. I know what I mean.
1. What makes this year unforgettable?
- I went back to work. Successfully
- I moved into an apartment. By myself. First time ever
2. What did you enjoy doing this year?
- I enjoyed my job
- I spent an awesome weekend in NYC with Elizabeth. It couldn't have gone better
3. What/who is the one thing/person you're grateful for?
4. What's your biggest win this year?
- I don't know. It's either my job or my apartment. Probably my apartment
5. What did you read/watch/listen to that made the most impact this year?
- Uh, something on Netflix about a young woman who's decided to die and she's haunted by the ghosts of 'do it' and 'don't do it', and 'do it' keeps saying: It will hurt more than you can possibly imagine... this being alive business... and that's the choice. I'll take it. This being alive business
6. What did you worry about most and how did it turn out?
- I worried most about autonomy and whether or not I would fall on my face. I haven't fallen on my face and I'm not using the word, 'yet'
7. What is your biggest regret and why?
- Not sure
8. What's one thing that changed about yourself?
- I became more deliberate about my choices
9. What surprised you the most this year.
- My children
10. If you could go back to last January 1, what suggestions would you give your past self?
- You don't have time for the noise